Positioned at eye level in the European galleries of the High Museum of Art is a linden wood (or lime wood) sculpture of an aging man, the biblical apostle and martyr St. Andrew
, attributed to the workshop of Tilman Riemenschneider. The Samuel H. Kress Foundation gifted this slight sculpture to the High in 1958 along with more than forty other works of art. Research into St. Andrew
focused on several important areas: provenance of this sculpture before the twentieth century; the uncertain attribution to Riemenschneider and his workshop; the question of whether the sculpture was originally colored or uncolored; and an inquiry for technical study.
Download Research Report
Back to Research at the High